Sunday, July 10, 2011

Buttercream Icing



My mother's birthday was just the other day and i NEEDED to make her a cake. Ok, i didn't NEED to, but when you're a cake decorator everyone you know pretty much expects you to make them a cake for their birthday, right? I worked at a bakery before and i loved the icing we used there but every time i made icing at home it turned out barely acceptable. I'm somewhat of a perfectionist, so barely acceptable is just not acceptable in my book! I've been looking for this recipe for a while and i've finally found it, my absolute favorite of all time icing recipe. Not to brag, but i haven't met anyone that hasn't been satisfied by this icing. Don't believe me? I dare you to try it and prove me wrong! :) So here's the recipe; you have to try it (i dared you, remember?).


Buttercream Icing

3.75 oz boiling water
1 lb 14 oz powdered sugar
.2 oz salt (just a pinch!)
.75 oz clear (good) vanilla*
1 lb 5 oz high ratio shortening
1.5 oz evaporated milk
  • Place boiling water, powdered sugar, salt and vanilla in mixing bowl with whip attachment. Mix 1 minute on low, 2 minutes on medium until NO LUMPS. Scrape down bowl completely.
  • Add shortening slowly while mixing on low. Scrape down bowl. Add evaporated milk while mixing and continue mixing on medium speed for 8-10 minutes.
*If you have cheap imitation vanilla, i recommend doubling the needed amount.


This is a nice, stiff icing that works very well for doing flowers. It isn't too stiff that you have to thin it to ice a cake with though. Like i said before, perfect :) haha. Also, it doesn't need to be stored in the fridge and lasts pretty long when kept covered. GOODLUCK!

No comments:

Post a Comment